SMU Libraries is committed to support faculty in their research and teaching activities and to provide services that enhance their productivity.
Research, Teaching, and learning services
SMU students, faculty and staff who need assistance with database searching or customised help with their research projects may make an appointment with a librarian who specialises in your subject. Your research librarians are:
- Accounting - Aaron Tay
- Business - Rajendra Munoo, Low Jiaxin & Sumita Govindan
- Economics - Melody Chin
- Information Systems - Xia Wei
- Law - Elizabeth Naumczyk
- Social Sciences - Rebecca Maniates
Consult your research librarian about using library resources, getting help with your research and teaching, or training for your research assistant on using library resources.
The research librarians can also collaborate with you to integrate subject-specific workshops and seminars that cover resources relevant to your course, as well as involvement in various classroom project.
As for your research output, the Library can help you manage, promote and collect metrics, by:
- Having your research outputs and publications discoverable via search engines like Google, Google Scholar, Yahoo! and platforms like Digital Commons Network and OAISter by depositing the full text in IRIS (Integrated Research Management System) and InK (Institutional Knowledge at SMU)
- Having the records of your research data discoverable with an option for the Library to store the data
- Getting a monthly report of downloads from InK with a personal author dashboard showing the countries and institutions the downloads come from
- Setting up a unique page that pulls together your research outputs and personalise its organisation in Faculty Gallery
- Ensuring that the right publications are attributed to you by having unique author identifiers set up and maintained in ResearcherID, Scopus Author ID and ORCID
- Getting your research impact metrics from Web of Science and Scopus, with additional metrics from key resources in your disciplines or from Altmetrics
- Supporting publishing and data management in library research guides
New Resources Recommendations
Recommend new resources to the library for purchase.
Faculty can set aside books for the library to purchase at Kinokuniya in Ngee Ann City and Books Actually. Inform the bookstore staff that the books you have selected are for Singapore Management University Libraries, and also provide your SMU name card or your SMU contact details. Library will work with the bookstore to purchase the books and include them in the library collection. You will receive an email once the books are available for loan.
Course Reading Distribution
The Library offers faculty a variety of methods to distribute course readings to students.
- As electronic links to journal articles available in the Library’s electronic collection
- As scanned chapters/articles on the Learning Management System (from books or journals belonging to publishers represented by CLASS, Copyright Licensing and Administration Society of Singapore Ltd)
- As books or ebooks in the Library’s collection
- As hardcopy course packs for items (students will need to purchase the course packs)
Contact the Library with your reading list. If you intend to distribute readings through course packs or the Learning Management System, please submit the copyright forms online. Faculty teaching postgraduate courses may contact their respective program administrators for assistance. For additional information on CLASS and course reading distribution, check the Library FAQ.
Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services
Request for journal articles, book chapters and books that are not available in the Library’s collection for your teaching, learning or research needs. Note that some materials cannot be brought in due to copyright restriction or exclusion policies for interlibrary loan and document delivery services. Submit your request here.
Faculty can borrow up to 100 items. See Loan Privileges.
For assistance and questions on borrowing and loan privileges, email email@example.com or speak to library staff at the Services desk on Level 2.
My Library Account
Use My Library Account to:
Off-Campus Access Services
The Off-Campus Access Services allow the SMU community to access e-resources remotely.
Access to Other Singapore Libraries
The Library provides assistance if you wish to visit the other academic libraries in Singapore.
Last updated on 17 Nov 2017 .