Research Consultations - Individual customized service for you when you need it
For help starting your research, for complex queries or for individual instruction on using library resources.
Email a Research Librarian to make an appointment.
Use our Research Guides to get you started on your research.
Check the Library Events Calendar for upcoming workshops and events.
- Books in Reserves (Level 2) are recommended or required course readings.
- Books with a red dot on the spine (plus accompanying item, if any) may be borrowed one at a time for 3 hours. Last checkout is 30 minutes prior to the Libraries’ closing time and is due back the following morning regardless of the day of the week.
- Overdue fines for items in Reserves:
- S$1.00 per hour after the time due (3 hours loan / red dot)
- Renewals are not permitted on Reserve items.
Loan Privileges and Fines
- How many? Total loan entitlement for Masters students is 20 items.
- How long? Different item types have different loan periods. All items on loan are subject to request by another user or recall by the Library.
- How much? Fines are instituted to encourage the prompt return of library items for the convenience of all our users.
- Read more about library usage policy.
My Library Account
Use online access to My Library Account to:
Library Opening Hours
Check the current opening hours.
Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services
Looking for something for your research that you can't find in the library? You may contact Research Librarians to explore alternative resources. Arrangement can also be made to get a book, journal article or a book chapter for you through Interlibrary Loan. This service is free and the requested material must be for research relating to your coursework, projects or assignments. You will be responsible for the return of the borrowed item, including any fines that are incurred.
Please provide as much details as possible on the requested item to ensure you get the right one in the shortest possible time. Do note the type of materials that cannot be brought in due to copyright restriction or exclusion policies for interlibrary loan and document delivery services. Submit your requests here.
New Resources Recommendations
Recommend new resources to the library for purchase considerations. Please provide as many details as possible about the item / title, including author's name, year of publication, publisher's name and the ISBN if available.
Publishing of Dissertations and Theses
Dissertations and theses by postgraduate students undertaking PhD and Masters by Research programmes will be placed in InK - Institutional Knowledge at SMU - for access by SMU community. To submit your dissertations/ theses, please visit the InK website to create an account with your SMU ID, acknowledge the Submission Agreement and provide the required information about the work to be submitted. If you require any assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need help in writing your thesis? Visit our guide on "Dissertation / Thesis Research and Writing".
Off-Campus Access Services
The Off-Campus Access Services allow SMU community to access e-resources remotely.
The Library provides facilities such as PC terminals, copiers, print and scan stations, book drops and borrowing stations, AV viewing rooms, project rooms, as well as quiet areas and learning labs.
Graduate Lounges are located on Level 5. They are designated as multipurpose areas set aside for postgraduate students.
Copying and Printing Facilities
Photocopying and printing facilities are available at a fee within the library premises. Payment is by EZlink and Cash Cards. All photocopying and printing must comply with the provisions of the Copyright Act.
Last updated on 17 Jan 2017 .