The purpose of this policy is to promote the efficient, ethical, and lawful use of SMU’s electronic resources. Electronic resources (e.g., databases, datasets, e-journals, e-books and streaming audio/video) provided by the SMU Libraries are governed by license agreements that restrict use to current students, faculty and staff of SMU and the Singapore Copyright Act.
It is the responsibility of each user to ensure that use of these electronic resources is for non-commercial, educational, scholarly and research purposes only. Prohibited activities include, but are not limited to:
- Commercial use (e.g. during internships).
- Violating the Singapore Copyright Act.
- Downloading excessive portions of a resource.
- Transmitting, sharing, copying or making accessible online content to non-SMU parties.
- Use of scripts, robots, spiders or crawlers or any other data mining tools to automatically and systematically copy and download licensed resources.
- Sharing IDs and Passwords.
These prohibited activities jeopardize the SMU Community’s continued access to licensed electronic resources. Publishers and vendors monitor web activity, usage, and abuse of their resources closely. Violation of this policy and the license terms may at minimum, result in:
- loss of privileges and disciplinary action for the individual; and
- loss of electronic resource access for the entire University.
All SMU users must comply strictly with the terms of the licenses as well as the law, and act responsibly while using these electronic resources.
Usage of electronic resources must also comply with Singapore Management University Acceptable Use Policy.
Last updated on 03 Mar 2017 .