SMU Libraries COVID-19 Service Continuity
SMU Libraries will continue to provide information and research services in the digital environment. Services at the physical libraries will be available to support students’ coursework in addition to faculty research.
Students (both UG and PG) who are in courses between June and August, and faculty who have approval to be on campus
Li Ka Shing Library will be opened from 8 June to 15 August, Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm, only to:
- Students (both UG and PG) who are in courses between June and August, even if your courses are conducted online; and
- Faculty who have approval to be on campus and have made an appointment with the Library to retrieve research material or use the database in Investment Studio.
The abovementioned students and faculty can:
- Request for materials from the Kwa Geok Choo Law Library (KGCLL) and collect them from LKSL.
- Use our “Pickup and Go” service to request materials ahead of time and pick them up at the Li Ka Shing Library’s service desk. Email library [at] smu.edu.sg
Rules to observe for the abovementioned students and faculty who have approval to come to campus
- Entry to Li Ka Shing Library will continue to be via Level 2 of the building where students and faculty will need to undergo temperature screening as well as check-in and check-out as appropriate via the SafeEntry app, a digital check-in system which logs students’ and faculty’s entry into university premises to facilitate contact tracing. Please remember to do a check-out when leaving the building.
- Observe safe distancing (keeping at least 1 metre apart from the next person) and wear a mask at all times in the Li Ka Shing Library and in all common areas on campus.
- Observe Li Ka Shing Library’s instructions on entry, exit and use of the library. This includes using only designated seats observing any safe distancing signs within the library and adhering to any directions from library and other University staff.
- If you feel unwell or experience symptoms of respiratory illnesses while in the library, you are required to report this to the staff manning the temperature-check station at Li Ka Shing Library, leave campus and consult a doctor as soon as possible.
As SMU resumes operations after the circuit breaker, we will do this in a controlled and methodical approach. Although other study spaces on campus cannot be made available at present, this might change if the situation improves sufficiently. In turn, we can then anticipate that the Kwa Geok Choo Law Library, as well as Group Study Rooms in the schools, may be available to students and faculty starting Term 1, AY 20/21 (from 17 August 2020).
Require Research Help?
- Contact our Research Librarians
- Accounting – aarontay [at] smu.edu.sg (Aaron Tay)
- Business – sumitag [at] smu.edu.sg (Sumita Govindan), redzuana [at] smu.edu.sg (Redzuan Abdullah), hmlim [at] smu.edu.sg (Lim Hwee Ming)
- Economics –melodychin [at] smu.edu.sg (Melody Chin)
- Information Systems –weixia [at] smu.edu.sg (Xia Wei)
- Law –yxchai [at] smu.edu.sg (Chai Yee Xin)
- Social Sciences – rmaniates [at] smu.edu.sg (Rebecca Maniates)
- Ask us questions via library [at] smu.edu.sg (email) or chat
Use our Chat Service to interact with library staff between:
(Click on ‘Ask Library’ by the right of the website)
- Weekdays: 8:30am to 10pm
- Saturday: 10 am to 9pm
- Sunday: 1pm to 9pm
- Browse research guides for available resources on specific subject area
Online resources remain accessible to SMU community 24/7.
- Go to library.smu.edu.sg to continue to search and access SMU Libraries' online resources and collection.
Borrowing, Checkout, and Recall Policies
- All reserve books borrowed on 6 April, 9pm will be due on 17 August 2020
- All other books borrowed will be due on 17 August as we have automatically extended the due date
- Users will be updated for all existing loans extension
Document delivery service will continue to be available other than
- Request that requires photo-copying or scanning from lending libraries