Need help finding a course reading, or locating relevant articles from ejournals and databases? Use “Ask Library” chat (on the homepage), email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (65) 6828-0355 (see opening hours).
Research Consultations - Individual customized service for you when you need it
Email a Research Librarian to make an appointment for help starting your research, for complex queries or for individual instruction on using library resources.
Tee Lip Hwe
Access to digital resources 24/7
Library resources can be accessed online, 24/7 wherever you are from the Libraries’ website. You may be prompted to login with your SMU username and password. Do refer to the Appropriate Use of Electronic Resources Policy when using the library’s resources.
Search the library collection for articles, databases, e-books, media content and more.
Access databases directly by searching for the title in the library search or browse the A to Z database list.
Starting your search on the open web?
These tools will make accessing the Libraries’ subscribed resources easier.
Install the LibKey Nomad browser extension to get direct access to full text articles beyond paywalls
Browse, read and stay current with online journals. You can search and browse journals by subject area, download articles and export references to citation managers. BrowZine is available as a web interface and a mobile app.
LOAN PRIVILEGES & FINES
- How many? Total loan entitlement for undergraduate students is 12 items (including 1 item from Reserves).
- How long? Various item types have different loan periods. All items on loan are subject to request by another user or recall by the library.
- How much? Fines are instituted to encourage the prompt return of library items for the convenience of all our users.
- Books in Reserves are recommended or required course readings.
- Items with a red dot on the spine (plus its accompanying item, if any) may be borrowed one at a time for 3 hours. Last checkout is 30 minutes prior to the Libraries’ closing time and is due back the following morning regardless of the day of the week.
- Overdue fines for items in Reserves:
- S$1.00 per hour after the time due (3 hours loan / red dot)
- Renewals are not permitted for Reserve items.
Check the Library Learning Calendar for upcoming workshops and events.
GET IT FOR ME VIA INTERLIBRARY LOAN
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service that obtains books, book chapters, journal articles and other resources for university-related research and teaching that are not available in the SMU Libraries collection. The following group of users are eligible for this service:
- Faculty and administrative staff
- Postgraduate students
- Third and fourth year undergraduate students
(First and second year undergraduate students should contact their Research Librarian for assistance)
How to request an interlibrary loan:
- Submitting a form in your library account
- Using the Find It @ SMU Libraries button within library-subscribed databases
- Emailing email@example.com with a complete citation of the book, book chapter or article required
Read the full interlibrary loan guidelines.
NEW RESOURCES RECOMMENDATIONS
Recommend new resources to the library for purchase considerations. Please provide as many details as possible about the request, such as journal title, book title, author's name, year of publication, publisher's name and ISBN.
The Libraries provide facilities such as PC terminals, copiers, print and scan stations, book drops and borrowing stations, project rooms, as well as a reading room and learning labs which can be used for training. .
COPYING & PRINTING FACILITIES
Photocopying and printing facilities are available at a fee within the library premises. Payment is by EZlink and Cash Cards. All photocopying and printing must comply with the provisions of the Copyright Act.