Research and Learning Services
The library is your first point of contact if you need assistance in finding sources for specific subject, locating articles or accessing databases.
The library provides various research literacy programmes, such as searching and finding the right sources for your research, using bibliographic management tools, mastering specific databases, and much more.
You can also make an appointment with a Research Librarian who specializes in your subject for customized help. Your research librarians are:
Use our Research Guides to get you started on your research.
Access & Resources
- Most of Library’s e-resources (e-books, e-journals, e-databases) can be accessed from off-campus. Authentication needed is your SMU ID/Password.
- Library also provides various Research Data Sources. You can contact your Research Librarian if you need further assistance with datasets or data management.
- How many? Total loan entitlement for PhD students is 100 items.
- How long? Different item types have different loan periods. All items on loan are subject to request by another user or recall by the Library.
- How much? Fines are instituted to encourage the prompt return of library items for the convenience of all our users.
- Read more about library usage policy.
My Library Account
Use online access to My Library Account to:
Interlibrary Loan & Document Delivery Services
Interlibrary loan (ILL) is a service that obtains books, book chapters, journal articles and other resources for university-related research and teaching that are not available in the SMU Libraries collection. The following group of users are eligible for this service:
- Faculty and administrative staff
- Postgraduate students
- Third and fourth year undergraduate students
[First and second year undergraduate students should contact their Research Librarian for assistance.]
How to request an Interlibrary Loan:
Read the full Interlibrary Loan guidelines.
New Resources Recommendations
Recommend new resources to the library for purchase considerations. Please provide as many details as possible about the request, such as journal title, book title, author's name, year of publication, publisher's name and ISBN.
Check the Library Learning Calendar for upcoming workshops and events.
Dissertations by PhD Students
will be placed in InK
- Institutional Knowledge at SMU - for access by SMU community. To submit your dissertations/ theses, visit the InK
website to create an account with your SMU ID, acknowledge the Submission Agreement and provide the required information about the work to be submitted.
Graduate Lounges are designated as multi-purpose learning spaces for post-graduate students. There are two Graduate Lounges on Level 5 of Li Ka Shing Library, and one Graduate Lounge on Level 4 of Kwa Geok Choo Law Library.